Aussie Rodionova rolls on at US Open


Hold the phone, Australia's assault on the US Open women's singles isn't quite over after all.

Russian-born qualifier Anastasia Rodionova eased the disappointment of Sam Stosur's shock early exit with a dramatic second-round victory over 23rd seed Sabine Lisicki on Friday (AEST).

Rodionova rallied from 5-2 down in the money set to win a rollercoaster battle 6-3 3-6 7-5 when her highly-rated German opponent tumbled on match point and suffered a suspected broken ankle.

"I was kind of scared to come to her. I felt really bad," said Rodionova, who is hoping to receive her Australian passport in the coming months.

"I didn't really know what to do and that's definitely not the way I wanted to finish the match.

"I feel sorry for her. It's sport, but I don't want anyone to be hurt. I hope she gets better and that it's not a really bad injury."

The incident may have tempered Rodionova's celebrations, but the 27-year-old's sense of humour was still well intact after equalling her best-ever grand slam effort, which also came in New York three years ago.

"Now I'm qualified to be Australian, eh. I just needed to win a few more matches," Rodionova joked.

Based in Melbourne for the past four-and-a-half years with her Australian boyfriend, Rodionova is hoping her surprising run at Flushing Meadows boosts her low profile Down Under - as well as her bank balance.

"My house is not that big to do the barbecue yet," the world No.139 said.

"But, as you can see, I am working on that so I can hopefully move to a bigger place and have barbecues. And to have it close to the beach would also be nice."

Rodionova spends most of the season in Australia, often playing the Challenger circuit.

"I'm going to come back right after the US Open," she said.

"I love Australia. The main thing is the friendly people. I feel really comfortable there and welcome.

"I like the weather; when it's colder everywhere else, it's warm in Australia, my partner is Australian and the koala is my favourite animal.

"So, yeah, I think I am Australian."

Rodionova will now face unseeded Ukraine Kateryna Bondarenko on Sunday (AEST) for an unlikely place in the last 16.

"Kateryna is a good friend of mine," Rodionova said.

"She's had a few good results this week and Toronto the week before, beating Venus (Williams) and then (Ana) Ivanovic here. She's a good player and I think it's going to be a good match.

"She has a pretty good backhand, good serve, and I will try to keep her away from the backhand.

I'm going to enjoy it, take it point by point and see what happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Revolveling Maps

Search